Welcome to The English Bulldog

Your forum for everything English Bulldog related.

•  » You have a question about your Bulldog?
  •  » You want to show off pictures of your Bulldog?
  •  » You want to chat with other friendly Bulldog Owners?
  •  » You are looking for info on the English Bulldog?

...then you have come to the right place!

We welcome you to our friendly community. Click the link below to start chatting.

YES! I want to register an account for free!

p.s.: Registered members will not see this ad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lurker

What's the best way to clear up and prevent tear stains?

What's the best way to clear up and prevent tear stains? We've tried a couple of things but so far nothing has worked. We tried giving them 1/2 tums twice a day and are trying Angel Eyes now with no luck. Thanks!!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Custom Pet Portraits

Noobie
    You can find tear stain cleaner/pads at your local pet store. We use them every time we clean Larry's face/folds. Its just part of his "maintanence".

Tear stains are all about the food you are feeding your bully? May I ask what you are feeding? My Cooper had tear stains starting at 4 months old......after finding the right food they went away! Fromm 4 star food is a great food for Bullies!

I'm also concerned about tear stains, my (white) Bodhi has had them since he was a baby. I wipe his face everyday with babywipes, and then dry with a papertowl. He still has unsightly red stains. I'm looking for something effective yet safe and gentle. I'm not to crazy about starting him on any oral supplements, he is still a puppy. Any suggestions or home remedys would be appreciated!!

Noobie

baby powder

Quote Originally Posted by Kim&Bodhi View Post
    I'm also concerned about tear stains, my (white) Bodhi has had them since he was a baby. I wipe his face everyday with babywipes, and then dry with a papertowl. He still has unsightly red stains. I'm looking for something effective yet safe and gentle. I'm not to crazy about starting him on any oral supplements, he is still a puppy. Any suggestions or home remedys would be appreciated!!

Little Bit Of baby powder can absorb Tears to help avoid tear Stains....:0)

I was told, long ago when I had first gotten my bully, that neosporin does a nice job of clearing up the bacteria growth! Apply when needed right to the folds and done! It was amazing how quickly it worked. However, my bully is now allergic to it and I have found that the alternative is to simply clean his eyes and use Teramycin when the stains get bad to clear out any conjunctivitis that may appear. (doesn't happen often, but another great eye ointment!)

Red eyes and a tear stain

I have a 6 month old English bulldog puppy. He has reddish eyes and a really big tear stain under his eye. I am using a tear stain solution every day but it doesn't seem to help. I also tried putting baby powder after i clean it and it still doesnt work. I feed him Blue Buffalo Wilderness for puppies and give him filtered water. What else can I do to remove tear stains? And what do I do with the red eyes? He doesn't itch them and it doesn't seem to bother him at all but I'm still concerned!
    P.S. how safe is Angel Eyes?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Now, I'm not a vet - but those eyes look a bit like they might have conjunctivitis.... A common problem in bullies. You could try one of two things - 1. Vet visit. 2. Terramycin - eye ointment you can get without a prescription. Link with info --->[Terramycin Antibiotic Ophthalmic Ointment.] I had to buy it on ebay because it was on back order from petmeds.com. Usually an inch in both eyes three times a day. The tearing will clear up a bit and the stains will lighten.

Now, I'm not a big fan of Blue Buffalo because my bully had a tough time after eating it for four years. Sometimes those "life bits" with concentrated oils can disagree with a dog's stomach and give them diarrhea... many complaints of that at my store. However, if your bully is doing well on it - I wouldn't make any changes until he's a year old. At that time, you should try to look into foods that are high in protein and low in calories. If you see "corn meal" or any "byproduct" - run for the hills! Look for things like "deboned"... that's a good sign that the food is nutritious. Also, if you want a mixed protein source... i.e - turkey, salmon and chicken instead of just chicken - that is also a good choice in food because it helps to alleviate the sensitivity of a dog's digestive tract. My bulldog is currently on Earthborn. High in protein and fiber, as well as contains no grains. His tear stains surprisingly disappeared, even though his eyes do still tear. So, food does have a strong correlation to the backteria content of tears.

In my opinion, angel eyes does a good job of removing tear stains. However, if the source of the problem is bacteria, you would rather kill the bacteria than mask the problem. Angel Eyes also takes a month before you see results and is expensive at $20 for 8 oz.

Good luck. That is a cute baby!

Thank you :)

Thank you so much for the response. He is doing ok on the blue buffalo but I will look into other foods for him.
    I already purchased the ointment from eBay. Will try it out...hopefully it helps my baby.

Is it better to feed bulldogs with canned food since they tend to swallow and not chew their food? Or maybe should I mix his dry food with the canned?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast