Welcome to The English Bulldog

Your forum for everything English Bulldog related.

•  » You have a question about your Bulldog?
  •  » You want to show off pictures of your Bulldog?
  •  » You want to chat with other friendly Bulldog Owners?
  •  » You are looking for info on the English Bulldog?

...then you have come to the right place!

We welcome you to our friendly community. Click the link below to start chatting.

YES! I want to register an account for free!

p.s.: Registered members will not see this ad.

Bully is losing hair!

My 6 month old bulldog is losing the hair on his back. It started with small pitting and has gotten progressively worse. He isn't bald, but his shiny fawn top coat is gone! I took him the vet and he was prescribed antibiotics and Benadryl for a suspected staff infection... It doesn't appear to be helping. When my husband and I first noticed the problem, we switched his food from Wellness Core to TOTW Puppy (grain free venison) and started with wild Alaskan salmon oil. We don't use harsh chemicals and only wash his bedding in scent free detergent. He is bathed more than he should be, but with soap free oatmeal based shampoo with tea-tree. He has a faint corn chip smell, so I ordered some Malaseb shampoo to see if that helps. His skin isn't too pink and he isn't acting itchy, but I have noticed very small scabs. No fleas or mites though says the vet. Anyone else experience this with their bully? We love this little guy and need to figure this out!

image.jpg

2. # ADS
    Ads

Custom Pet Portraits

well first thing you think of in a bully that young is staff and perhaps mange. if its not that then i would look at the food. bullies are very sensitive to their diet. did it get worse with the food change. if i were you i would find a limited ingredient food and you can start weeding out possible allergens if that is whats causing this. with bullies i find a protein that works then go from there and sometime less is more. stop the salmon oil till as that can be causing the problem to. malaseb is good shampoo and duoxo makes great producst for skin issues. veterycin at petco works and some use coconut oil. zignature makes a great line of limited ing food as does natures variety instinct. also the bland diet as in beef and rice or chicken and rice can help to see if its the food also.

Lurker
    My Dog is also losing hair. But his skin seems to be changing pigment color. it is turning black and hair falling out. Any body have any suggestions to what may be happening.. He seems as healthy as ever

Lurker
    I would change his food to Zignature. They do not use chicken or eggs and is potato and grain free. Some bulldogs have problems with too much starch and can have yeast issues from the potatoes. A symptom of that is excessive shedding.

Lurker
    After you rule out allergies you might want to have the vet check her for hyperthyroidism. My bully was losing hair on her back and I took her into the vet and they ran bloodwork and found that she had hyperthyroidism. I have her on thyroid regulating medication now and has cleared it up for her.

Lurker
    it is turning black and hair falling out. Any body have any suggestions to what may be happening