Welcome to The English Bulldog

Your forum for everything English Bulldog related.

•  » You have a question about your Bulldog?
  •  » You want to show off pictures of your Bulldog?
  •  » You want to chat with other friendly Bulldog Owners?
  •  » You are looking for info on the English Bulldog?

...then you have come to the right place!

We welcome you to our friendly community. Click the link below to start chatting.

YES! I want to register an account for free!

p.s.: Registered members will not see this ad.

Lurker

Buddy's ten and having trouble walking.

Hello Folks,

I am writing to you because I am desperate for information. I live in Santa Rosa California and my Veterinarian doesn't know that much about Bulldogs. His practice just doesn't see a whole lot of Bullys but he has the compassion and will go out of the way to find something out if needed. I am facing the prospect of taking him to see the doctor but I wanted to ask the folks here of what I should do. I have been a full time owner and by that I mean I am constantly with my Bully in every aspect. I am never without him more than 1 hour and that's when I have to go to the doctor for myself. I haven't been anywhere on Vacation since the day I got him ten years ago. I have been very proactive in his life. I taught him to ride a skateboard the day I got him. He then became a registered therapy dog with the San Francisco SPCA, I would take him to hospitals, Psychiatric Centers, Children's Wards, and Senior Centers just to promote his natural beautiful personality he has. He has enlightened so many people in his life, made so many people happy
    and contributed to make a lot of people feel better.
    Here he is ten years old now and having trouble walking. Maybe its all the skateboard riding in his life but I need to know what I should do. Its now so bad that when I get him down from he bed he will just stand there and when he tries to walk his right front leg keeps spreading away and he can't get it back to the normal position. But whenever he goes outside to play with the ball he's fine, running and walking just like he used to. But when he's not playing with the ball he reverts to not wanting to walk. He has a lot of trouble with stairs too. Luckily I don't live in a place where there are any stairs for him to climb. I am giving him glucosamine prescribed by the doctor but don't think it's doing much good anymore. I'm hoping someone knows any other alternative treatment for his arthritic condition. He could stand to lose a little weight and I know that's a big factor with arthritic dogs. Does anyone have any suggestions ? Thank You.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Custom Pet Portraits

Lurker
    I'm sorry that no one replied to your question and I'm sorry your boy is having trouble walking . When we bought Ryder , we picked him because he was a few months older than the ones ready to go because he had been sent back due to an injury at birth , his leg was twisted and now that he is 8yrs old hes starting to have more of a limp so we started giving him glucosamine hoping it will help . That's sooo awesome that you did so many amazing things with your bully , I honestly cant believe no one commented , I want to thank him for his service , I could cry right now , that's just so awesome . Skateboards made Ryder crazy but he LOVED jetski , he would ride it all day . I also spent 24/7 with our bullys , I knew when something wasn't right . I had trouble finding a vet that knew anything about bulldogs and ended up with a vet with a farm outside of town . Him and his staff have been amazing ! I don't know what to suggest for your boy but I will pray for him and you keep searching for info.something good will come from it ! We just lost one of our boys , its so heartbreaking , we hope to have ryder for many more years ! Best wishes to you and your amazing bully !!!

Lurker
    Thank You for your compassion and understanding of what I am dealing with. I too cannot understand why nobody bothered to offer any insight. Maybe their worlds are too busy to help out during this time. I do have to say that this is the worst tragedy of my life, I kid you not. I did not expect my boy to go out this way. I never really thought about it because we refuse to think about what if this happens while we're in the middle of the finest days of their lives. I took Buddy to see the Vet and this guy is one of the coolest guy's to have for a vet. He's not out for gauging at all. If something doesn't need to be fixed he doesn't fix it. So because I cannot afford the MRI he has diagnosed Buddy as having a brain tumor because of the neurological symptoms affecting his balance, coordination, and inability to control his paws. He prescribed Prednisone for the tumor because it could actually shrink it. And Phenobarbital for his seizures. The Prednisone caused Buddy to drink a gallon of water a day and became water retentive. Urinating in my bed and every where else. He wanted to see how Buddy was doing after a week so I'm taking him in on Monday. But he hasn't gotten any better or worse. As long as he isn't in any pain I will continue to pick him up anytime he needs to be picked up, whether its to go outside or to get in my bed. His walking is wobbly and is constantly falling down. I don't work so I am here with him every time he falls. I would rather have him here with me even if he can't walk. And when the day comes he will tell me he's had enough I will make that dreadful trip, one last by by in the car ride and I will be by his side and will hold myself together for his sake. Thank You, You have no idea how comforting your letter was to me. and I don't even know you.