Welcome to The English Bulldog

Your forum for everything English Bulldog related.

•  » You have a question about your Bulldog?
  •  » You want to show off pictures of your Bulldog?
  •  » You want to chat with other friendly Bulldog Owners?
  •  » You are looking for info on the English Bulldog?

...then you have come to the right place!

We welcome you to our friendly community. Click the link below to start chatting.

YES! I want to register an account for free!

p.s.: Registered members will not see this ad.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ColieAnn

Thread: Allergies

Lurker

Allergies

Hi, I have two English Bulldogs, Zeus and Apollo. I have had Zeus to the vet several times for his allergies and have yet to fix the problem. He has been put on steroids, then Atopica. He has been shedding a lot more and his ears are a constant bother to him. He also has dark patches on his skin where he is shedding. He is also on a thyroid medicine, but I don't think it is doing the trick either. Any other ideas of what to do? I don't like to see my furbaby not feeling well. :(

2. # ADS
    Ads

Custom Pet Portraits

How often to do you give him a bath? What shampoo are you using?

Lurker
    I usually give him one every two or three weeks. Any more than that seems to dry out and irritate his skin. The vet had given me a prescription medicated shampoo, but I have been using GNC pet medicated shampoo.

Shame poor Zeus :( I also find if I wash my bully more than once every 2 weeks it irritates his skin. What about diet, have you tried different foods? I hope you find a solution!

Lurker
    Try searching the ingredients in the foods he is eating. You might need to try grain free, organic. Also, Benydryl works wonders for allergies. Our Jersey has general allergies and we give her Benydryl (with our vets permission) and it works great. As long as you give your dog a good diet, you shouldn't need to bathe his so often either. Too much bathing and it can dry out the skin worse. He hasn't been diagnosed with mange has he?

Lurker
    My little man has lots of problems with allergies so we don't use shampoo for his baths we just soak him and rub him down. I give him a spoonful of coconut oil every day for his coat and it does wonders for his heart as well (he has a heart murmur).

Lurker
    My bully has terrible allergies as well, she's on Temaril p, Benadryl, amitriptiline, thyroid meds, bathing twice weekly with prescription shampoo, prescription itching spray, prescription hypo allergenic food. She has very little relief, I'm at a loss, any other help out there?