Welcome to The English Bulldog

Your forum for everything English Bulldog related.

•  » You have a question about your Bulldog?
  •  » You want to show off pictures of your Bulldog?
  •  » You want to chat with other friendly Bulldog Owners?
  •  » You are looking for info on the English Bulldog?

...then you have come to the right place!

We welcome you to our friendly community. Click the link below to start chatting.

YES! I want to register an account for free!

p.s.: Registered members will not see this ad.

Lurker

New Bulldog Owner! Have a million questions

We recently got our first english bulldog! We didn't expect to love her the way we do, or have so many laughs thanks to her. We have done tons of research but still have tons of questions! We adore our little girl bailey and just want the best for her.

What is the best puppy food?
    How often do you bathe a bulldog?
    Bulldogs favorite toy?
    We live in upstate ny and its cold so I am wee wee pad training her because Im scared of her getting sick, is this going to make her stubborn about going outside?

What is the best method on cleaning face wrinkles (BAILELY HATES THIS) ? And what do you use?

Does anyone do the yogurt with the food for added calicum? I read yogurt and oranges are a must is this true??

In the summer is it ok if she is outside with us (we are outside in the yard a lot) if she has a baby pool and shade?

Thank you in advance for your advice and help...I'm sure I'll have ton more questions!!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Custom Pet Portraits

I use royal canine puppy food for bulldogs. I don't know if it's the best, but it works for us.
    I bathe judge every few days. My vet said it was okay. He's only 10 weeks old. Judges favorite toy is a ball (tennis ball) I roll it and he chases it. Only you he likes so far. I use a baby wipes but for dogs to clean the wrinkles. It has worked wonderfully. Never heard about the yogurt or oranges. I will now be looking into it.

How old is bailey? What color is she? I just love bulldogs. Ahhh :)

Lurker
    Hi Bailey's mommy! My name is Kelly I have an English Bulldog that is 18 months old her name is Rane. We had another bulldog for 13 years which is actually pretty long for them and unfortunately had to put her down a few years ago due to a deterioration in her health :( That was one of the hardest and saddest decisions in my life so far. It took a while for us to get another bulldog because they are a lot of work but all your hard work pays off because they are THE BEST dogs to own in my personal opinion. With that said I have plenty of experience and can answer probably all of your questions but then again what has worked for us may not work for you and you and Bailey. As far as food Fromm is a very good brand but also very costly but any good food will be. They sell wipes to clean there faces and eyes you can grab them at any pet store. Like Julie above said you can also use baby wipes but make sure they are unscented and hypoallergenic because they have sensitive skin. Tennis balls or any kind of balls my dog goes crazy over. That didn't sound right lol but you get the point! Not so sure about the yogurt and orange thing maybe its for there coat but in all the years I have been with bulldogs I have never heard it. So I goes do a little more research on that one. Any other questions I would be happy to help :) Good Luck with Bailey!

I have found that Taste of the Wild is the best puppy food for my Bulldogs. I bathe them once every 2 weeks. Anything to chew on is perfect..they don't seem to be picky! :) Potty training is such a tricky thing, its always best to pick a method and stick with it. once it warms up I would have them go outside and do away with the puppy pads. I use wet wipes (diaper wipes) to clean my dogs faces. They get used to it eventually. I haven't tried yogurt or anything extra for the puppies since I do a high quality dog food but for my momma dogs I do give them a daily calcium pill. Bulldogs are sensitive to heat so just so long as there is shade and the pool is great to keep her cool off. If it does get too hot (like it does for me in TX) it is best to bring them inside during the hottest parts of the day. Hope this helps!

Lurker
    Hi Baileys mom, I'm baxter's mom, My EB is three years old and he was my first bulldog so I was also on a bit of a learning curve with him. I have never used the puppy training pads and have always went straight to the good old outdoors for potty so they would not get confused. Baxter has a food allergy so I found the one brand/type that was good for him was Natural Balance, Duck and potato. There are very few ingredients. A friend of mine told me about it. She told me duck was very easy on a dogs digestive system. I bath Baxter every few weeks and clean his face with baby wipes. I started him young with both and he doesn't mind face cleaning time or shower time. I hadn't hear about the yogurt/orange thing either but I read an article about hypocalcemia (might be a cause of head tremors) and EBs. They recommended vanilla icre cream for a jump of calcium. I'm wondering if that is the same for the yogurt? One more word of advice......training. I have heard EBs are couch potatoes but my baxter is not. He's pretty active and benefited from a good trainer that was familiar with the breed.

Congratulations on your addition. We have two bullies and they are completely different; what works for one doesn't work on the other. But i will tell you a few general things that we have learned over the years.
    many bulldogs do not tolerate wheat and other grains well so we always check the ingredients to be sure that there are no grains or nasty byproducts.
    In the winter we bathe every three weeks and in the summer more.
    ours love being outside with us in the summer and playing in their pool and going camping.
    We use a cleaning product from the vet for their ropes and ears and tail pocket.
    My baby's favorite toy is the toy box! Lol. Rememer that they choke easy so be sure no small pieces break off. Also keep this in mind with puppy treats. They choke on things that get slimy, like raw hides (we learned this scary lesson the hard way!)
    ive never heard that about yogurt but am now intrigued.
    Both of ours were super easy to house break, but we got them both in the summer so it was easier. I don't like crates so instead we bought a large plastic fence deal that we use in the house and it worked great! We still put the baby in there when we are gone for more than an hour.
    As you surely figured out, all bulldog owners love talking about them so ask away :)

hey congrats on your puppy.. well I've used blue buffalo since i got ours and he is in great shape.. idk if its the best but it has worked out for us... we never really used the pads i have heard its hard to train them to actually go outside after that.. the kong toys are awesome make sure they are big and that they cant choke.. we shower ours 1 a month or if needed before.. i use a washcloth to clean the wrinkles and make sure they are dry.. cant think of the name of the stuff we use...

I clean my bulldog's face with a warm washcloth with johnson & johnson baby wash on it. He loves it! & it makes his skin SO SOFT afterwards!
    If you're keeping her outside on certain days, shade & a pool are a must! However my bulldog will lay directly in the sun even though he gets overheated, and refuses to go into a baby pool because he thinks its a bathtub, however, he will jump right into a river no problem! Anyway, because I know he likes sunbathing, I bought this product that is designed for english bulldogs that is almost like a collar that fits loosely around their necks that you fill up with water and freeze. If they have to be outside, or want to "sunbathe" like my Bruno does, this is a great product to keep them cooled down.