Welcome to The English Bulldog

Your forum for everything English Bulldog related.

•  » You have a question about your Bulldog?
  •  » You want to show off pictures of your Bulldog?
  •  » You want to chat with other friendly Bulldog Owners?
  •  » You are looking for info on the English Bulldog?

...then you have come to the right place!

We welcome you to our friendly community. Click the link below to start chatting.

YES! I want to register an account for free!

p.s.: Registered members will not see this ad.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mic29
  • 1 Post By Gracie11

Thread: Help with potty

Lurker

Help with potty

My female bulldog will not let us know when she needs to go outside potty. She does go outside when we take her. Has anyone else ever had this problem? All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Custom Pet Portraits

My 2 year old also will not tell us she has to go. She only ever barks when the doorbell ring and then only once and very quietly. We tried a crate, she would just go in it (it was the correct size too). We have tried a bell at the door, didn't work. She will go to the door and just stand quietly, no sound. So every time she walked to the kitchen we had to follow. Solution..... We took the wall down between the kitchen and the family room! Just another crazy bull dog owner. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mic29 View Post
    My 2 year old also will not tell us she has to go. She only ever barks when the doorbell ring and then only once and very quietly. We tried a crate, she would just go in it (it was the correct size too). We have tried a bell at the door, didn't work. She will go to the door and just stand quietly, no sound. So every time she walked to the kitchen we had to follow. Solution..... We took the wall down between the kitchen and the family room! Just another crazy bull dog owner. Good luck.

Funny stuff!

Gracie is 9 months old, she just sits by the backdoor when she has to go out. No barking or anything, but she is always glued too me so when she's not by my side I will look for her and she's by the back door!

Supporting Vendor
    Our bully doesn't really let us know either. We tried the bell method but she never figured out the concept.. Occasionally she'll lay near the top of the stairs or stand near the door but we pretty much just have to guess when she needs to go. We take her out at regular intervals so we don't have any accidents. It's definitely pretty time consuming constantly seeing if she wants to go out lol Such silly dogs..

We did crate training with Daisy as well as using a baby gate to keep her from wandering. We tried the bell (having her ring it when she needs to go out, but that didn't work). The gate seems to work for her, took some time though. She now goes to the gate when she needs to go out. We found, in the beginning, that if we didn't react quickly enough she'd have an accident next to the gate. Also, we take her out right after every meal, if she doesn't poop or hasn't pooped in a while we put her in the crate (usually while we eat) then let her back outside when we are done. Takes time and I still don't trust her at night, so she is in the crate at night. I tell people it's a learning experience as much for the owner as it is for the pup. Keep working on it, don't give up. Believe me, we know how frustrating it can be. I'd recommend the gate idea if you're able to gate her into the area you are in, but not sure if will help in your case- but it does stop the wandering. Daisy did potty in her crate a couple of times in the beginning, but hasn't in the last few months.

I got the bell to work. Everytime I would take him out, I would associate the bell with going out. Take him to the door, ring the bell, then outside with us. When he would go, positive praise. It took about 2-3 weeks of everyone of us doing it, but it worked. Eventually, he started hitting the bell on his own.

If he went in the house, we would grab him, tell him no (not in an excited voice, but a normal tone no and using his name so he associated name, tone and peeing in the house as bad), ring the bell, then go outside with him....rinse and repeat! Granted, he rings the darn bell just to ring it and I think laughs inside at us getting up to 'let him out'. ;)

And I just realized how old this post is lol

Oh well, good info, I hope?!?!
    Last edited by Mike; 06-02-2014 at 01:28 AM. Reason: It's late, and I'm slow?