Welcome to The English Bulldog

Your forum for everything English Bulldog related.

•  » You have a question about your Bulldog?
  •  » You want to show off pictures of your Bulldog?
  •  » You want to chat with other friendly Bulldog Owners?
  •  » You are looking for info on the English Bulldog?

...then you have come to the right place!

We welcome you to our friendly community. Click the link below to start chatting.

YES! I want to register an account for free!

p.s.: Registered members will not see this ad.

Thread: Fighting

Lurker

Fighting

I am having a problem with sporadic fights happening between my 3 grown bulldogs. It's a relatively new things. I have heard from other owners it's not uncommon. They have done some major damage not only to themselves but to my home.

It seems to be as a result of the family dynamic changing aka a break-up between my boyfriend and myself. Will it just work itself out or does anybody have any suggestions on how to get it to stop, I am afraid they will really hurt each other.

It's not during feeding time, when on the furniture, and never toys involved. It's just a look from across the room and they are at it! There doesn't seem to be a set trigger it just happens.

They are trained to only eat when I tell them it's ok, only get toys when I give them to them, Spanky my male is always allowed on the furniture first, gets attention first, and comes in and out of the door first. I can't tell if the dominance is changing or what. It's mostly the Spanky the oldest and the male, Matilda the youngest versus Sophie the middle child.

It was suggested to me to get a hand held cattle prod to separate the fights to avoid injury to myself and to the dogs....HELP!!! I feel like I've tried everything else.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Custom Pet Portraits

Lurker hobbsrobinrtr@hotmail.com's Avatar
    Well sad to say but once they start to fight it doesn't seem to stop. We have an interesting deal with our bullies as well. Abigail attacks Bubba and our Brutus (he is a boston) but it is because of me. She doesn't like to share I guess. So we have baby gates and they all have their own part of the house. It is a routine that has worked well and they know no different now. When I am not home and my husband is Abigail and Bubba can be together and get along great but when I walk in she attacks him. Good luck. We even took ours to a dog trainer that has worked with dogs all her life and she was not able to get them to get along if I was there.

Lurker
    I think I found it!!!!!!!!! I got a hand held cattle prod...ones used on calves, it's the same as a shock collar I just control the placement. I've only had to use it twice...it makes a sound like the shock collars do, so as soon as a fight is about to start I just have to push the button and it stop and they go back to normal. I'm still not comfortable leaving them together when I'm not home but I haven't had a fight since I got the thing....it didn't leave a mark or anything and it only took once....well one fight I had to touch them with it a couple of times. I was just told to make sure it's on the rear end so they don't think it's the other dog....they know it's me and as soon as they hear that buzzer it's heads down and sorry mom. It's been great....I wasn't sure if I was gonna be able to do it but I did....I figured they were going to kill each other which is much much worse. It worked great for me, you may want to check it out. It doesn't hurt them just gets their attention the same as an electric fence or a shock collar would.

I'm glad you found something that work!